Skip to content

More Boob Talk

I know the boys must be thinking “ooooo!!! BOOB talk!!” Sorry to burst your bubbles but this is more about having a medical professional take some pieces of your boob to check it under a microscope sort of talk.

At first I wasn’t sure I wanted to mention the whole boob biopsy on my blog at all, but when I wrote my first post about it, I felt so relieved. What made me feel even better was when I was sent to Doahleigh’s blog (who had gone through the same thing as I was going through during the early part of 2010) via Dysfunction Junction.

While I would NEVER wish this upon anyone, there is some comfort in knowing that I’m not alone in all of this and that many, many others have been through it. Just as Doahleigh shared her experience in case someone wanted to know more about it at some other point in time, I figured I would share mine for the same reason.

My appointment was at 7:15am on Thursday morning – exactly a week after I had found out they needed to check my breast further because the radiologist found something that looked abnormal. To say that I was nervous doesn’t begin to describe how I felt. In the days leading up to my biopsy I kept doing things to keep my mind off of it and figured why worry about something that at the present moment I had no control over?

Easier said than done but I kept busy.

I headed over to the radiologist’s office in DC early yesterday morning with my swirling  mind and a sports bra packed in my purse just in case I couldn’t wear my regular bra (turned out to be a smart thing I did there). I arrived earlier than my appointment time and even had to wait for them to open up the office. Apparently staff was there, but they didn’t open their doors until 7:15am (time of my appointment) which made me even more nervous.

Once I was in, I signed a few papers and made sure all of my information was correct while the nurse photocopied my insurance card and prepared all the paperwork. I waited only about two minutes before I was called in. After changing into a gown (NOT by any means sexy) the nurse took me into the same room where I had gotten my breast ultrasound the previous week. Once in there, I had to remove and expose my right breast and lay down on my back on the table.

The doctor came in a few minutes after I had been laying there recounting the Hail Mary and Our Father (it’s what I do when I’m nervous – pray) to myself. He walked in with a smile and started joking with me which actually made me feel a lot better mainly because when I’m extremely nervous and under stress sometimes, I tend to make jokes to relieve the tension that’s built up.

He then proceeded to explain what he would be doing (and trust me I had looked it up several times on the internet and read the pamphlet they gave me). First he had to find the sucker using the sonogram wand. Once he did, he marked where he would be inserting the needle that would take my cell samples from the nodule that was in there.

Next step was the local anesthesia. I don’t think I’ve met anyone who likes needles and I can assure you I most certainly don’t so I looked away as he injected it into my skin to numb the area.

To be honest with you – and I’m being 100% honest – he did an awesome job because it BARELY hurt. Just a teeny prick and tinge of a burn. I’m talking super duper minute pain here. I thought it would hurt a lot more but it didn’t.

Once my tata was all numbed up, he made a small incision which I didn’t feel at all and placed the needle that would be removing the sample cells. He then took the sonogram wand, found the nodule again and placed the needle in it. Once it was in the nodule itself, he told me I would hear a click. He counted to three and then CLICK a sample was taken. He did this three more times.

I didn’t feel much of anything, barely even the pressure from the needle taking the sample. The nurse cleaned me up and placed a bandage over the place the incision was made. She gave me a small pack of ice to place on it and in my bra (totally fits by the way). She instructed me that I couldn’t wash the area for three days and that I should keep an ice pack on it as much as possible for 24 hours while also refraining from lifting anything heavy for a couple of days.

Granted my lovely right tata is a bit swollen and I feel a bit of discomfort at the moment, but I managed to not take any tylenol for the majority of the day except now before bed. And that’s only because I didn’t really start feeling any pain/discomfort until late in the evening.

I’ll see how the next few days go, but I’m hoping the swelling will at least go down. My boobs are already big enough as it is!

I’m also of course really hoping for the results to come back negative, but I’ll have to wait on that. In the meantime, I’m once again trying to keep myself preoccupied with other things.

Fingers crossed that all will be well.

14 Comments Post a comment
  1. Meg #

    Good luck lady! I’ll have my fingers crossed for you! It’ll be ok, I know :D

    August 27, 2010
  2. I have every last finger and toe crossed, too, my friend. Thank you so much for sharing. I can’t imagine it’s easy to write/post this kind of personal experience on your blog, but I—and I’m sure so many others—so appreciate that you do.

    Hope you’re able to get out and enjoy the lovely weekend! Tight hugs.

    August 27, 2010
  3. Meghan #

    Thinking of you and wishing you calming thoughts, you’re in my prayers! xxoo

    August 27, 2010
  4. <3

    August 27, 2010
  5. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you as well, and I really think that you’re handling this beautifully. I know the nerves are there, but I also know that *you* know, you have everyone in your corner.

    August 27, 2010
  6. san #

    My fingers are definitely crossed.

    And thank you for sharing your experience!

    August 27, 2010
  7. OUCH! It just sounds painful!

    Thinking good thoughts and sending you some good vibes lady! :)

    August 27, 2010
  8. amy #

    fingers crossed! i’m sending you some love via boston. keep us posted!

    August 27, 2010
  9. Wow! You are so brave! I would’ve freaked the hell out (Then again I’m smaller than you and want to hold on to as much tissue as possible! ;))

    August 27, 2010
  10. Sending you good thoughts!!!!

    August 29, 2010
  11. I hate that you’re going through this but I appreciate you sharing it with all of us. Still holding out hope and good thoughts for you!

    August 29, 2010
  12. I think it’s incredibly brave to discuss something like that. And I’m pretty sure I echo the others in saying I hope the results come out in your favor!

    August 30, 2010
  13. i’m so proud of you, lady. that was hard stuff and you went through it like a champ. fingers, toes, and (swollen) boobs crossed for good results :)

    August 30, 2010

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. Recheck « Marie's Blog Cafe

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: