Remember how I mentioned I joined Gathered Table* (they help you meal plan for your week based on the information you give them)? I recently tried one of the recipes they offer (adapted from Martha Stewart) called Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas and let me just tell you, it was so friggin delicious that both Matt and I devoured it during lunch yesterday. Pretty quickly if I may add.
So why not share the food wealth? While I did use the recipe they provided, I did make some alterations/additions to it so what you’ll get is my slight twist on it (and of course you can always change things yourself to make it to your liking).
I should add that whenever a recipe says to use canola oil or any other oil for cooking, I instead (and always) use olive oil. It’s what I was brought up on and it’s what I go to each and every time. But feel free to use whichever oil to your liking.
1 large red onion or 2 medium red onions (I used 1 large one)
2 cups of mushrooms, thinly sliced (basically I bought a box from the grocery store and sliced those up, didn’t measure)
6 ounces of spinach, shredded (bought the boxed salad spinach, washed, and hand shredded those, didn’t measure)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt and pepper
6-8 tortillas (I made 3 quesdillas so I ended up using 6 tortillas and I used whole wheat tortillas)
8 ounces (2 cups) or however much you want pepperjack cheese, shredded (no such thing as enough cheese)
1. Preheat the oven 400 F
2. Slice the onions and mushrooms, then shred the spinach
3. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat
4. Cook the onions until slightly golden/soft, stirring occasionally, then mix in the mushrooms and stir until tender
5. Add some of the spinach, letting it wilt and then add the rest in and stir
6. Season with salt and pepper (I also added crushed red pepper to spice it up)
7. Brush some olive oil on each of the tortillas, and place 3-4 of them oil faced down on parchment paper or nonstick pan
8. Put cheese on each of the tortillas and then layer each with the mushroom-spinach-red onion mixture
9. Put cheese on top of the mushroom-spinach-red onion mixture and then cover each with another tortilla, oiled sides up
10. Bake until the cheese melts and the tortillas are slightly golden, about 10 minutes or so
Serve this deliciousness with a cucumber, tomato, olive oil, and lemon salad and you are good to go!
*Gathered Table did not ask me to review/sponsor them, pay me to mention them, etc. so on and so forth. Doing so completely on my own because I believe yummy, easy recipes should be shared.